TVShare Media Server

User Forums

Go to TVShare home page
View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:04 am

*  Forum rules
Before making use of this forum, please read in its entirety the forum policies announcement http://www.tvmediashare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38.

tjpuckhead
Post  Post subject: Returning from sleep  |  Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:36 am

Hello,

I often put my computer to sleep. When it returns from sleep, the DirecTV boxes don't show the "Music and Photos" icon in the menu. Even if I restart the program (and even the computer), the Music and Photos icon sometimes doesn't show up. Is there a trick to forcing it to work?

BTW - I downgraded to 1.18 because some of my movies had audio issues. I'm running Windows 8, with VLC 2.0.5.

Thanks!

tjpuckhead
Post  Post subject: Re: Returning from sleep  |  Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:08 am

Update - It seems that waking from sleep is working better now for some reason. The last 3 times it's worked perfectly, so maybe I just had a bad spell or weird network issue.

Thanks anyway - and keep up the good work!

TVShareadmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Returning from sleep  |  Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:00 am
Site Admin

Hello tjpuckhead,

Thanks for letting me know things seem to be working better now. I apologize for my tardiness responding to this issue.

Here's how things work in the world of UPNP -- which is the standard used by many media renderers and servers.

When the server starts up it send an announcement over the network saying 'I'm here!'. Also every 30 minutes or so there is another announcement that says 'I'm still here'. This is what causes the server to show up on the server list on the Directv Screen.

When your system goes to sleep the 'I'm still here' messages cannot be sent, so eventually the Directv Receiver should remove the Server from the list of active servers (I say SHOULD, I've seen where it fails to do this).

When your system comes back from sleep TVShare realizes that it's been way too long since it sent an 'I'm still here' message so it sends one. This should cause the server to show up on the list again. BUT if your computer takes a little while to get things back up and running fully your network card might not be ready to send messages and the message is simply dropped. This means that it can be up to 30 minutes before the next message is sent and the server shows up again.

it is probably safer to turn off TVShare before letting the system sleep and then starting it again when it wakes up if it continues to give you trouble.