TVShare Media Server

User Forums

Go to TVShare home page
View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:19 pm

*  Forum rules
Before making use of this forum, please read in its entirety the forum policies announcement http://www.tvmediashare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38.

trumpman84
Post  Post subject: Ability to see shortcuts in a media folder?  |  Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Hey --- great product, but I have one request. It would be nice if we had the ability to see file shortcuts in a folder. It would be useful if, for instance, I wanted a 'main' folder containing all my movies and a secondary 'search' folder which only showed a subset of my movies -- let's say "Rated G" for example. A shortcut would be useful so I didn't have to copy the file in both locations to have access in both folders.

Anyway -- not sure if this is limited by DirecTV's hardware, but I thought I'd ask.

TVShare_Moderator
Post  Post subject: Re: Ability to see shortcuts in a media folder?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks for your post trumpman84.

The Technical Support forum contains the following post which refers to using shortcuts/links to organize media files and, at the surface,
appears relevant.

http://www.tvmediashare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70

If you have not seen that post, please read it as it may prove helpful. If you have read it and it does not address your request, then the
developer will take over from there. Please update this post accordingly so we know how to proceed in helping you.

>>> Robert
Forum Administrator/Moderator

trumpman84
Post  Post subject: Re: Ability to see shortcuts in a media folder?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:15 pm

I tried the link you provided. It doesn't seem to be the solution as it only provides a way to link to other folders. Below is what I would like to see.

All Movie Folder
-Movie 1
-Movie 2
-Movie 3
-Movie 4
-Movie 5
-Movie 6
-Movie 7

G-Rated Movie Folder
-Movie 2
-Movie 3
-Movie 7

As you can see, I want a subset of movies to appear in both folders without having the actual file on there twice (therefore taking up twice as much space). File shortcuts would work, but aren't picked up in the DirecTV interface.

trumpman84
Post  Post subject: Re: Ability to see shortcuts in a media folder?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:35 pm

I just had some success using mklink /H as opposed to /D. The /H option lets you create a hardlink to an individual file.

TVShare_Moderator
Post  Post subject: Re: Ability to see shortcuts in a media folder?  |  Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:31 pm

trumpman84:

Thank you for providing updates. As soon as possible, the developer will look at the information you
provided and go from there.

Robert
Forum Administrator/Moderator

TVShareadmin
Post  Post subject: Re: Ability to see shortcuts in a media folder?  |  Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 pm
Site Admin

hi Trumpman84, It seems that what you might be really looking for is a way to create playlists. That way you could have playlist of G Rated movies, Drama's, Comedies or 80's Music if you wanted.

It's a good idea and one that a few customers have asked for in the past. I'll have a look into the best way of supporting it.

Thanks for the feedback!